Memory Therapy

Smell, memory, and emotion are deeply connected. The Olfactory receptors (where smell is processed) are directly connected to the limbic system (center of emotions). This interaction happens before the cortex can recognize the odor itself. Emotional responses and memories linked to the scent are triggered by the primitive brain before other parts of the brain can cognitively recognize the scent separately from the individual's personal connection with it (11).
Something I wonder about is if the reason aromatherapy is effective is because of the scent itself or the memories attached to it. Do we smell floral oils and the brain produces chemicals in response to that scent or does our brain take a trip back to a springtime of our younger selves when the flowers were blooming and we were calm, happy, and carefree?
According to Dr. Herz, smell is not hard-wired. People will react differently to smells based on their past experiences and memories with those smells. What calms one person may sadden another. This means that the smells used for the purpose of aromatherapy should be tailored to the individual.


My Scents:

1. My dad is Italian and since I've been away from home, I've begun to notice that whenever I smell baked bread I feel noticeably happier. This smell may not produce this feeling for others because they don't have the same memories of my family sitting together on a Saturday night enjoying homemade Italian food and catching up after our busy weeks.                                                                                                        2. I love the smell of gasoline. I can remember my dad picking me up from kindergarten, getting me french fries, and going to fill up the car with gas. This time also sparked my love of music as I would pick out a different cassette tape to listen to on the way home every day.                                                                                                3. My mom has used the same perfume since before I can remember. Estee Lauder, Knowing. I could recognize that scent in an instant and be brought back to early mornings when I would watch her do her makeup before she went to work.
It's amazing to me that these smells can mean nothing to someone but to another be a part of the childhood and formative of who they are.

Comments

  1. If all smells are linked to an past emotional experience, then I wonder why a lot of people enjoy the smell of gasoline and lawn clippings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally like the smell of both gasoline and lawn clippings. I find when I try to conjure the smells from my memory I remember other things like my second scent that I mentioned for gasoline and playing outside on a warm summer day while my dad was cutting the grass. I personally associate the scents with fond memories.

      Delete
  2. You mentioned in a later post that you were a swimmer... Did the smell of chlorine ever elicit any memories for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time I don't really smell the chlorine because I'm around it so much that I've kind of become nose blind to it. I do notice that people around me will say that I smell like chlorine because the chemical can stay in your skin for weeks even if you haven't been in the pool.

      Delete
  3. I think it's interesting how smells can not only bring up one small memory, but many ones. For example, how gas makes you think of at least 4 things (your dad, getting gas, getting fries, looking through cassette tapes). Sometimes we can pinpoint a specific smell to one specific memory in time that happened for a brief moment. On the other hand, sometimes a smell can make you remember a whole day. For example, if you have a really good chocolate cake at your wedding, maybe when you smell chocolate cake from then on you will think of your entire wedding day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post