Final Blogpost

 Wrap Up Post

Or maybe you do… of incense and perfume of course.


I never in a million years would have thought I would enjoy learning about senses. I never would have been able to connect scientific subjects to religious studies. 

Before enrolling in this course, I spent dreadful hours scrolling through Wheaton’s course selection trying to figure out my schedule. This course was not in my plans but I needed to add a course and this was an option. Although the topic sounded fun, it also felt a bit intimidating as I had no idea what to expect. 

While taking the course, I sometimes felt overwhelmed with the readings but was also super intrigued by the texts we read. It is super interesting how each religion emphasizes a different sense as almost superior to other senses. In Buddhism, vision is constantly stimulated with bright and beautiful sculptures. In Islam, there is such an emphasis placed on rhythm and stage skills during Quran recitals. All while Jews can be found feasting and/or fasting while Rabbis seek the best Balsam for ceremonial incense burning. It is amazing how deeply connected religion is to senses. And many modern religions, some denominations of Christians and New Age cults, are so heavily focused on the sixth sense and being rooted with the spiritual world.

This might all make sense since religion has been a part of humanity for ages. Before there were books and technology for information, people communicated and perceived information through these senses.

I am just glad that I took this course. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post