Response to Elizabeth Robinson Guest Lecture

This may be a bit of an unconventional blog post, but I wanted to share some thoughts I had after Elizabeth came to our class on Monday.

First, I want to say that much of what Elizabeth shared with us, I agree with or relate to in some way. Meditation, communicating to the body and listening and learning from it, these are all things that I've been actively practicing for years and that I feel are very important for healing and health, both mentally and physically. I know that times when I've meditated and connected with my body has helped me relax, center myself, and understand what I need in the moment.

All that being said, I found the class to be difficult, and this is something that I've experienced before. It started with the guided meditation, which is something that has always bothered me. As I said, I do think that meditation is important and can be beneficial. However, I've always struggled with guided meditations. I find that the experience of someone telling me how and when to relax to be more stressful then it is relaxing. The one we did specifically was one that I've known of for I while and I've used often, it's a good one when I'm struggling to fall asleep.

So I guess this is an issue that I've experienced multiple times, while I appreciate learning about new techniques of meditation, it's not something that I can do at the command or leadership of others, it needs to be on my own time, at my own pace. I was wondering, has anyone else felt similarly?

Comments

  1. In response to your question "does anyone else find guided meditation to be a struggling experience?", I would say yes and no. I have done quite a few guided meditations throughout the years, from novice high school teachers leading meditations to guided meditation from monks in Thailand. Personally, I think it really depends on the level of skill of the guide and personal preference. While one person might prefer a guide who talks a lot and explains motions in detail, another may appreciate long periods of silence and have more of a self guided experience. It all depends on what each individual wants out of the experience.

    My personal opinions on meditation are similar to yours. Mentally, I definitely feel more mindful and focused after a meditation. Physically, my muscles relax more and I feel as if I have more energy throughout the day. Thinking so deeply about meditation while writing this post has made me try to decide to try meditating in the morning. I will have to do some research into self guided meditation, but if you anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The most primitive sense

Cannibalism and Symbolism

Wrap-Up Post