The Good, The Bad, And the Pleasing. Aroma of Righteousness

 The conclusion section of Aroma of Righteousness got me to think. What are bad smells that are comforting or enjoyable? God apparently likes the smell of a dead person. I know I don't, but what might be something like that?

It isn't a DEAD human, but it's hard not to like the smell of a person. Whether it be a cologne, a shampoo, or whatever natural oils. When you really care about someone, platonically or romantically, you notice that stuff. Lying on the couch with a former boyfriend, I was absolutely outraged to find out, through my nose, that he had gotten a different deodorant. I didn't like the original one, a bit too "man" for my taste, but when he changed it, I missed it. He didn't smell like himself anymore. 

My aunt is similar. Every time I see her, I'm immediately swooped into a lovely squishy hug, and she always smells the same. I'm not sure what it is, but it's always a typical overly floral aunt perfume, and it reminds me of family holidays spent together, despite it not being my favorite. 




I guess I'm wondering if, to God, the smell of a
person might not have even been good, but just pleasing, like some things can be. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Naming Scents: The Ambiguous Nature of Describing Smell

Justice

Memorable Moments: time and place